Saturday, February 11, 2006

Markets Stage Great Intraday Rally; However, Volume Was Weak And Breadth Was Poor

The major market indexes all staged a nice intraday rally, today, to help them close up on the day. However, these gains came on lower volume which was preceded by a distribution day. Usually you want the opposite. The Nasdaq finished up .3% and the SP 500 finished up .3%. But breadth was poor on both the NYSE and the Nasdaq. The Nasdaq even had negative breadth.

This along with the weak action in my own personal portfolio definitely indicates we are in choppy waters. The markets five distribution days in four weeks and year long churning also confirms what my longs are telling me. That we are not in a bullish market anymore and caution should be advised. Another inicator is how leading stocks are doing and the IBD 100 sank a bit over 4% for the week.

None of this should be new to readers of this blog as I have advised multiple times this year to sell into strength, take profits, cut losses on weaker performing stocks, and keep new longs very small. I have also mentioned the recent churning action of the indexes. If you now study on your daily index charts of the SP 500 and Nasdaq you will see what I was talking about.

The small cap indexes are holding up. Their intraday reversal gave them some very nice daily charts with them bouncing off their 50 dma's and creating a nice daily candlestick chart pattern. The big cap stocks have been seeing some renewal also as evident by the Dow Jones holding its own during the current choppy markets.

All of this creates a very uncertain environment and helps discourage traders from trading every daily tick. That can only be a good thing. This uncertainty creates the downtrend that we need to setup new bases for new longs. With the lack of really good chart pattern in high quality names, it may take a while. This is positive, none the less. There was too much bullishness, this year.

Why I am still not ready to short this market outright is that if the markets do get ugly there will be plenty of time to find the ripe shorts. The shorts will come up after the trend is in full force, trust me. I have seen it over and over. Just go read the first six months of this blog. I was shorting many times and doing quite well. Why? Because I was going with the trend and the trend was already down and obvious before I started shorting. Patience is always a virtue.

Another reason I am not shorting is just look at my longs I am still holding. They look great! Most of them dont have many dings in their armor at all. The long term winners that have gotten hit are gone. The stocks that did not perform are gone. But the ones that are still in the portfolio are doing well. Until they breakdown also, I will stay long with an exploratory mind towards shorts.

One more thing to mention. After the 30 yr auction treasury you can now see an obvious yield curve inversion. This is now very obvious and I do believe this is going to have an impact on stocks. And usually that is not a good impact.

One more thing to mention, again. The Fed is not done. I would not be surprised to see the rate go to 5%. I hope it does not happen but remember if rates do rise that much more that gives us at least another four more months of a rising market. Remember stocks rise during rate hikes and fall during rate cuts. It is history, it is facts. Go "Google" it!

Maybe that is why I still have so many nice charts that are longs. That doesn't mean the new longs are going to rock. Those have been terrible recently. But at the same time there is no reason to sell the ones that are working either.

We shall see what next week brings. Good trading everyone!

New Swing Longs: CHINA HEIA A PEIX

New Swing Shorts: BYD

Longs Outperforming Market: CNTF EVST-30% VIMC GOL-67% ATHR-61% AIX BBD-133% GES-76% TRAD-52% CIB-30% LDSH-60% ADBE SIRF-130% ORA-74% JBL FFIV EFII ITRN ASVI NNDS ROK STX LTM TRO GMXR-225% PKE RAIL-51% NGPS EDS QCC MORN GIGM-60% CHRD MMUS DIET-38% NKTR LRCX-42% BGC-43% STXN-36% RDCM-29% UBS RES-119% PPCO-28% BE SNPS SILC-102% NOVA

Shorts Outperforming Market: NONE

Stocks On Radar Screen: KEYW ARII AVNX SCI MNKD AXO AUXL MTSX DCO

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joshua,

how much, or if any do you play... "1234 setups" such as a pattern like HB.

thx

Steve

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

I am not familiar with that pattern at all. Is it the ABC pattern? Is it the triple top and triple bottom breakout pattern?

HB: That stock needs to spend more time going sideways before it is a long. Right now the risk/reward ratio is not favorable as there is still some long term resistance that has not had time to be worked off yet. When the 50 is above the 200 for a while longer and the stock can base for a while, HB might make a good long.

Have a great weekend, Steve.

Please let me know about the 1234 pattern. Thank you.

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

I can tell by looking at the chart what I think it is.

The October bottom to now.

one up, one down, one up, one down, and then the breakout. Same as the ascending base. Just a bigger version.

Anonymous said...

1234 pattern...big gap a way break on volume, the it pulls back 3 days on lighter volume...when it takes out the third day pullback high you buy...so the buy point on HB would be 52.03

Anonymous said...

Josh that was me...Steve.. on the anonymos post

Anonymous said...

Joshua,

if i may ask you one more question...you seem to hold lots of long positions and give them some room....when the markets are under the 50 day...do you continue to hold all ur positions that hold above the 50day? or do you hedge them with say a bunch of QQQQ or SPY short....thnks for ur time

Steve

Anonymous said...

Hi, Josh. I had some questions as I try to learn how to short in case we do continue to deteriorate. I have read W. O'Neill's book on the topic. Are these "his type" of patterns that I am seeing: GNSS, ITT, BMHC, URBN, SRDX. Just curious if I am seeing the right things. Where are the right buy points on these because some seem very choppy?

Also, do you play breakdowns lower for shorts or find bounces up to resistance levels to be better or more successful entries in your experiences. Thanks a lot in advance.

Anonymous said...

Josh...

Looking to move into trading Independently...did you find any resources to help you through the transition?

Thanks in advance for the any advice!

Mkt is going to sleep...

Enjoy

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

resources?

please expand. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Resources: books, magazines, mentor etc...

Are you completely on your own or do you trade as a proprietary trader? Just wondering if I can get my hands around resources books etc...to make a sound decision to go out on my own...

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

Search for "books" on this blog.

I have made a list that made me a great trader. You can then see how I got to this list by reading the accompaning explanation.

Investors Business Daily
Investors Business Daily
Investors Business Daily

I had one mentor and he is really well known. He has his own website. But I felt I was mentoring him after the first three months.

To be honest with you I am COMPLETELY self made. I had NO help at all. Just one lucky break, after I figured out how to make money on my own.

I am completely on my own; but living on Maui, I am not sure how much longer I will be able to do that.

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

When the market is under the 50 dma it is just that. This just lets you know objectively how the market is doing. This keeps your emtions away from facts.

How my stocks act is what is important, when it comes to stocks. If they are still trending up I hold. If they break at all you sell. I follow the IBD method.

As I have mentioned numerous times that even in bear markets there are stocks that go up. Strong stocks, in strong industries, with strong fundamentals even in a bear market will go up, as long as the whole industry is moving up. Example was housing stocks during the bear market.

When the market is going down in a secular bear market you keep new buys small and work from the short side.

I almost never (but I have many times in the past) hedge with the Qs or the Spiders.

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

Yes you are seeing correctly. I would really only call GNSS and ITT the two picture perfect pattern.

"Also, do you play breakdowns lower for shorts or find bounces up to resistance levels to be better or more successful entries in your experiences. Thanks a lot in advance."

.....

If the breakdown is right off the 50 dma or 200 dma and is not further than 5% from the trendline, I will short it. But normally you want to wait for the bounce for the more successful entry point.

Waiting for the bounce to the short so you can have a VERY TIGHT cut loss is the proper play in long term and intermediate term bull markets. We are still in one of these.

Once these trends turn down, which we dont even know if they will, then shorting the failure without a bounce is a good bet.

Anonymous said...

Joshua...

I read IBD...

But was wondering how you control costs...what you think is the right amount of capital to start with...

other than IBD, any other resources online or books that you read?

Thanks my man...Maui is expensive...have you tried the caribbean?

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

Control cost? That is all I use. TCNet, Equity Research Package, and IBD. Cost controled. Finihsed. Nothing else.

I will repeat search for books on my blog.

"books" in the search bar. There is your answer.

Great luck!

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

To trade for a living: Minimum is 25k and that is if you live in Nebraska. Minimum for NYC, LA, SF, and Maui is at least 100k if you want to do it for a living.

You can trade though with as little as $50. $50 and you can invest in this greatest nation on God's green earth.

Anonymous said...

Josh,

Thanks bro...appreciate the help!

Anonymous said...

Joshua I feel your pain on CNTF. Same thing for me on GRA. I dumped it all. What's point holding a loser that can't win...

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

Yeah. I shouldnt have bought it anyway. It was a silly trade.