Saturday, December 30, 2006

Happy New Year!; Markets Produce A Distribution Day On The Last Trading Day Of 2006.

THIS IS THE VERY LAST FREE "DAILY MARKET ANALYSIS and NEW SWING LONGS/SHORTS" POST ON THIS BLOG.

On the very last trading day of the year, stocks decided to end the year on a slightly nasty note, offering distribution days across the board. There was no news catalyst on this Friday the last trading day of 2006. The only possible reason for the selling that was floating around the street was the fact that traders might not want to be long over the long weekend. My question is: wouldn't they also not want to be short? Oh well.

At the close, the SP 600 led stocks lower with a .9% hit, the SP 500 gave up .5%, the Nasdaq lost .4%, and the DJIA being the leader it is only lost .3%. Leading stocks joined the SP 600, leading to the downside. The IBD 100 and IBD 85-85 index both fell .8%.

Volume was higher on the NYSE and the Nasdaq, giving both indexes a distribution day. Volume came in well below the 50 day volume average, continuing the trend of volume this Holiday short week. This is the first day of distribution on the NYSE in the past four weeks and was the third disribution day in four weeks on the Nasdaq.

Normally, the selling wouldn't bother me but the fact that volume grew on a day when volume should have come in lighter and the fact that the indexes finished at or near the lows of the day throws up some warning signals to watch out for further weakness as we head into the new year.

Breadth was negative on the NYSE by a 5-to-3 margin and negative on the Nasdaq by a 3-to-2 margin. It was not that bad, considering the losses on the SP 600 and IBD 100.

Overall, it was a solid week. The DJIA gained 1%, the SP 600 rallied .8%, the Nasdaq gained .6%, and the SP 500 rose .5%. Even though I wanted a light volume pullback and did not get it, the small gains offer comfort that the bulls didn't shoot the lights out only to have the bears knock them back down. Also if we combine the last two weeks, you can see the market pulled back, across the board, on low volume. PERFECT...so far.

For the year, it doesn't get much better than what we witnessed. The DJIA was up 16%, the SP 500 and SP 600 rose 13%, and the Nasdaq gained 9%. Personally, for me, I still consider it a disappointing year as HOT stocks did not act like HOT stocks normally act during a strong bull market. The rally from the June-Aug lows did not have the same kind of explosive growth as in normally seen in bull cycles. However, in an environment of lower volatility (check the VIX), overall, this is to be expected.

This was a tought year, for your's truly. I have managed only a 40% return and that is borderline shameful if you ask me. I had way too many great stocks make 100% plus runs left and right but by taking too much risk in cheap/loser stocks under $10 and not concentrating more into the beautiful high quality charts my portfolio suffered.

As the year went on I did adjust and went back to my style of 2003. Where I would take up to 3-5% of the best stocks and buy less of the cheap beauties. It did work out well, after the market started moving higher again in July. But because the rally was so iffy, I did not concentrate money like I normally do at the beginning of a "real" rally.

The rally off the October 2005 bottom offered TONS of quality stocks offering 100% plus gains left and right. This rally from July did not. Why? Because big caps led. Big caps simply do not rocket the way smaller stocks do and that is what happened. The lack of leadership by leading stocks off the July lows hurt my year end performance.

However, thanks to a great rally from October to May, I was able to beat the market by 2x the return of the top index. That has always been my goal and continues to be. Also the goal is to finish within the top 5% of growth mutual funds. If I do these things, every year, I am happy. For the fifth year in a row I am very happy.

This was a wild market this year with not a lot of volatility but a lot of confusion. The constant political backdrop, without a doubt, had a major impact. The liberal media continued to bash everything about the economy and that caused MANY people to doubt the market and miss out on another year of gains. Just like they did in 2003. The "I hate GWB" crowd never gets it right. And they definitely got it wrong this year just like they got it wrong in 2003 when they said his tax cuts would wreck the economy. WRONG AGAIN. LIKE ALWAYS!!

If you stayed disciplined, cut losses, let your winners run, and ignored the liberal media, you without a doubt had a great year. Next year should treat you right, as long as you keep playing by those disciplined rules. Proper buy and sell rules will ALWAYS beat opinions. Remember, opinions are like assholes...we all have them, they stink, and nothing but shit comes from them.

There is a point James "RevShark" DePorre made in his realmoney.com blog post that I want to re-post here because it is the truth: "Although the indices were up nicely in 2006 it was not an easy year for market participants. The character of the advance was quite different than anything we have seen in the last 10 years and it caught many folks by surprise. The average hedge fund failed to outperform, as did many individuals. In general there was a lot of underperformance this year."

If you followed me at all this year, you can go to my blog and review my post on every twist and turn the market gave this year. I was there and took the appropriate action EVERY time. It has been this way since 2000 and it will never change. I never pay attention to anything anybody ever says. I take all my clues from the market. And if you have been reading this blog since March 2005, you will see I just simply never missed a turn by simply reading the general stock market indexes and looking at leading stocks everyday.

This will never change and the market will always give EVERYBODY profits if they just learn how to go with the trend and learn the important battles rules that are necessary to get this game down.

It is like everything else in life. The more time and effort you put into something the better you will do at it. Trading stocks is the same way. If you follow the CANSLIM rules and practice over and over you will eventually become a very powerful individual investor. If my dumb-ass can do it. You can do it. I have no college education. My only education came from the school of hard knocks. The tuition was much lower than what you paid to go to college and grad school, trust me.

With that I want to wish everyone a great 2007. This is the last free post EVER on this blog. I want to thank everyone for reading and I hope I see you at the paid site. It is not that expensive and if you can not afford $100 a month for convo or $60 a month for stock picks...well son you shouldn't be trading stocks at all then.

Aloha, God bless, thank you everyone for all your fantastic support and comments along the way. I wish you agreat 2007. AAALLLOOOHHHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will see you at the new Investors Paradise. It is not up yet, but by Wednesday we will be ready to go. ALOHA!!

The stock market will be closed not only on Monday but on Tuesday as well, next week. In observance of former President Gerald Ford's funeral. This will be first incident of markets closing for four days since the disgusting terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. This time, however, you can enjoy the market's closure. I know I will.

Investors Paradise.

New Swing Longs: AZL CAAS GOAM

Adding To Longs: AOI

Longs Up On The Day: PTT-131 JST-95 ININ-28 BMA-35 PCCC-34 CHINA-83 STEC-92 CXW-34 AOI-38 DECK-27 BAM-54 AMOT SMOD SRSL CVLT JSDA BTJ UAUA SQM IWOV IMKTA CCCO CNH IFOX PCC AMSF ACTU AB NRF NU ISLN MBLX ACHN HINT EXLS LYTS CRNT ONT CTDC NHP STZ ZNH MXIC WGA INMD OME EPHC ABCB RIV

Stocks That Caught My Eye But I Don' Want To Be Long: ENCO ICON PMD GMKT TPTX DBTK DVR BRR CRZ DEI NETC GT EDA ANO HELE AIXG CPY

Partial Profits/Losses Need To Be Taken: WSH WAUW PSMT RVSB AOB IMGN TRBN OSIR SVNT TGEN

Complete Profits/Losses Need To Be Taken: AW CBF LCC

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

FWIW, the reason I will not be following you over to the pay side is because you ocassionally state that you hold some 273 longs, or some absurd number, but would list maybe 60 or so here, and only a handful would be reported as up 25+%.

I would think that anyone buying 2 to 3 hundred issues would have a handful up 25% or more. How was it that your efforts were superior?

Anonymous said...

I am not sure how one can make money
with so many suggestions. I guess he
should have at least few hundred thousand dollars. I do not have that kind of money
and I am a occasional trader and I think
$100 is too much. So I would not be joining.
It was nice reading your summary of market
analysis. I am going to miss that. It is not
worth $100.

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

First of all. there are three levels.

$30

$60

$100

Second of all, it is obvious you did not follow me or read me at IP. For that, that is not my fault. This was the first time I ever got over 250 stocks and the reason why...........THEY WERE ALL GOING UP. So SORRY FOR GETTING SO MANY RIGHT.

Next time I will try to find more losers.

If you would actually read, you will see I only listed the stocks UP ON THE DAY THAT WERE IBD AND HAD VOLUME OVER THE 50 DVA. You want me to list all my longs everyday for free? You are an idiot, if you think I do that or would waste my team doing that. Why can't you track me??????????

Do I want freeloaders? No. So Aloha and GOODBYE!

Would have a handful? Do you really even read my blog or did you ever go to Investors Paradise.

That is not my fault...that is yours.


................................

You are not sure how one can make money with so many suggestions? Do you not follow mutual funds? Do you not understand port. asset allocation? Do you not understand DO NOT BUY MORE THAN 1% of your account in anything not IBD quality.

Did you ever see me say OVER AND OVER that my style is not for those with little cash? And instead keep it to the 10-15 of the best IBD qulatiy?

You are the typical trader who does not get the full story before acting. The commentary is not $100 it is only $30 a month. If you can't afford that....ALOHA!!!!! I don't want free loaders anymore> I have been told over and over by people they come here, take my longs, and leave.....oh yeah please keep letting me give my time for free.

Rev charges $500 folks...HE ASKED ME TO PARTNER WITH HIM. TJ charges $1000 HE WAS MY MENTOR.

So $100 for everything that is on the site? Please. I will say it again....ALOHA!!!!! I don't need you or want you if you can't even do simple research on a FREE site.

$30 is for the commentary

$60 is for the longs...good luck finding them on your own idiot.

$100 is for complete access to me and my personal help.

Anonymous said...

I am part time trader.
If I want to be full time trader. How much money do I need to earn 80K per year after excluding expenses of trading cost,...

Anonymous said...

Depends bro...you should do your reading...go read Elder's books.

But generally speaking 250k if you are very tight with your cut loss strategy...

Good luck

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

$250k would be the minimum to do this for a living.

If you have $100k and a part time job of 20 hours a week...you should be ok too.

This is ONLY if you already know how to trade. If you are learning...well...the learning curve is different for everyone so that is purely a number that is impossible to know.

Anonymous said...

How much average trader makes per year
if one has $250K? What are the advantages
of trading over running some buisness?

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

You are asking a question that has no correct answer. He obviously better be making $50k or whatever a year to at least pay the bills.

It depends on where you live, how much you spend, etc...how can ANYONE have this answer? They can NOT.

It is up to YOU.

Advantages of trading over running a business? Are you kidding me? It depends on what you like doing.

Why trade stocks if it stresses you out? Why run a business if you dont like customers?

I hate tourist!!!!!! everybody loses their damn mind when they come out to Maui. So having my own business may be more profitable. But the ignorance of your average tourist bothers me so much that I would rather trade.

I love trading. It isn't work for me. That is why I make money.

There is no correct answer to your questions. It is up to the individual and their mindset.

Anonymous said...

I wrote the first note... didn't mean to touch such a raw nerve.

I don't buy mutual funds precisely because they do buy 2 or 3 hundreds issues, and they're usually required to remain 100% invested. Their performance hurts because of these things.

I'll just say it again, if I were buying 2 to 3 hundred issues, I can't imagine it would be too difficult to list that handful that had risen 25+%.

I'm a 21 year IBD subscriber, very familiar with the CANSLIM strategy, and enjoyed your commentary. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to add any more fuel to this fire, but as I would look into a lot of the stocks you would list here, I thought that many of them didn't seem to meet O'Neil's criteria as true CAN SLIM candidates other than that they were breakouts.

I would read you at IP and concluded that they were more likely those that had good TC2000 indicators instead.

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

Ugh. It is obvious you did not read me at IP. How many times did I say DO NOT GO LONG ANY STOCK NOT IBD QUALITY.

How short-sighted you are.

Why don't you go through my blog during all the bull phases and remember...I was the ONLY one in July/August buying stocks.

DONT YOU REMEMBER EVERYBODY ELSE WAS BEARISH.

Also you forget how many times I said do NOT go long non-IBD quality stocks.

Well now on the paid site I list the EPS/sales growth and tell you which ones should be taken long. There is a section for for sure stock longs and longs that are purely speculative. Much more detail than a quick glance here WOULD EVER give you.

Do you really think I am going to do that much work and tell you so much FOR FREE. GET REAL!!!

Man I SAY OVER AND OVER DO NOT CARRY MORE THAN 25 STOCKS. I TRADE LIKE THIS BECAUSE I CAN. I NEVER HAVE ANY STOCK OVER 1% IF IT IS NOT A CANSLIM STOCK.

It don't matter. I will be here forever. If you want to try me out...you know where to find me.

ONCE AGAIN I AM SSOOOOOO SORRY FOR PICKING SO MANY DAMN STOCKS THAT WENT UP. NEXT TIME I WILL TRY TO PICK LOSERS.

Oh wait...if you have been reading me....you know it doesn't happen. And when it does who is the first to admit it....ME.

You people crack me up.

Anonymous said...

Yeh, well, your name calling, dripping sarcasm and arrogance just cracks me up too. It's a great marketing tactic.

Aloha!

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

It's not name calling...it is stating the obvious.

:)

Anonymous said...

Maui hasn't graduated his sarcasm to drenching yet...I am working with him to get it up to speed.