Friday, March 17, 2006

Major Market Indexes Finish With Slight Gains; Options Expiration Skews Volume Figures.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

Stocks finished the week with small gains, with the Nasdaq up .3%, SP 600 up .3%, SP 400 up .3%, Dow Jones up .2%, and the SP 500 up .1%. It was a good week for stocks, overall, with most indexes up around 2% for the week.

Volume was much higher today but you can't call it an accumulation day because the indexes were not up .5% and it was quadruple witching Friday. Quadruple witching is a day on which contracts for stock index futures, stock index options, stock options, and single stock futures all expire. The high volume is caused by all option players being forced to exercise options on the last day their contract is worth anything. They can either roll it over, have it expire worthless, or exercise the contract. Back when I was trading options I usually was out of positions well before this day. Time decay is one of the most important things to understand when trading options. Obviously, a lot of traders don't understand it.

NYSE advancers beat decliners by a 6 to 5 margin and the Nasdaq had 8 advancing for every 7 declining.

Computer-Hardware, Biotech, Investment Brokerage, REITs, and Airlines did well today and the Semiconductor sector found some bids today. With technology stocks bouncing it could help attract speculative money to go along with the boring (REIT, Big-Caps) money. Even if the speculative money doesn't come in the action in the old Big-Caps is good enough for me. They have been doing very well, even during the pullback and old leaders Copper and Steel are showing some leadership too.

So everyone can keep worrying about the Semiconductors and the Nasdaq. I will be paying attention to the NYSE and watching the Nasdaq for signs of life. The Nasdaq still looks like it could take a while to get going. A rotation of tech leaders into new tech leaders can take some time. The heavy volume might not be churning--though technically it looks very much like it is--and could be the high volume needed to rotate into new leaders. They both look the same in the middle or near the end runs of a bull market. Like I said yesterday though, take a look at all the four letter words that I am still long. Obviously, the Nasdaq isn't as weak as the "professionals" say it is.

The market is still very emotionally draining. Therefore, it is very important to stay disciplined, have a plan, and execute on it. Ignore the CNBC and CNN and pay attention to your charts.

An interesting note is in today's 'Big Picture' in IBD: Please read it on your own.

I will summarize it by saying after the crash in 1929 (2000) we finally bottomed in 1932 (March 2003). We then rallied for a whole year from 1932-1933 (March. 03 to Jan. 04) and then went sideways for two years 1933-1935 (Jan 04-Nov 05 to now). That then led to the two year rally into year 1937 (now to 2008) where the Dow Jones was up 94%. Friday was the three year anniversary of the beginning of the March 2003 rally. I wonder if history will repeat itself. Then and now, doom and gloom was thick in the air!

Another possibility is the end of rate hikes. The last time rates were hiked this much and then stopped was in 1995. If you go back and look at the rate hike cycle and the performance of the stock market you will see we are matching pretty closely (not exactly, but closely). As you can also see when rate hikes ended at the beginning of 1995 stocks made one of the biggest rallies in the history of the stock market. I doubt that will happen this time. But something to remember. HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF OFTEN. You never know if it could again.

But I thought with all this doom and gloom talk being placed on us by the biased liberal media that these scenarios could bring comfort to shaky investors.

We shall see what Monday brings. Have a great weekend and I should have the reasons behind all the longs posted on Investors Paradise by the end of Saturday night.


New Swing Longs: LPSN RMBS KNDL BWLD FMTI COMS WST WGRD

Adding To Current Long: MT

New Swing Shorts: NONE

Longs Outperforming Market: ATHR-98% KNXA-48% ERS-143% SEAB RATE-144% CHE CLZR-40% UIC-38% FFIV RAIL-71% CYBS BOOM-395% CTXS-37% IVAC MTU MDCC-40% NTAP TMI MFLX-218% SLW-106% ROK RUTH PETS-162% LCRD-88% ASVI CRDN-50% TRAD-46% NVDA-62% KEX-26% SCVL CIB-42% STRL SLAB HEIA-31% ASF-208% BBD-146% FRGB STX XRTX-32% SAY-32% KDN BGC-55% IHS-27% CBG-100% SCHK-35% AAU PEC MEK-43% SSW ALTU FWLT-66% IIP AKN GNBT-100% SBAC-45% MDII ECIL MT GEMS AKS LMIA-90% ASGN-80% BWNG-100% RNT NTO-35% VRTX-204% DRH CKR VTSS JDSU-68% ECOL ARBA LSI CDE MNST-48% RSTI-31% BE NENG-38% CONR RIMM RBAK-172% GNA CVO-81% AXE NVAX-62% AIX PWR A BEAV-39% HPOL SF SMF

Shorts Outperforming Market: NONE

Stocks On Radar Screen: WXS AIS TXCC HET ABMD HBE ERICY

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Josh. What do you think of DVW ? Has formed a nice base for the last 10 days, closed up on strong volume Fri. and looks like ready to breakout. Already long and thinking of adding more.
Also, any hints on how you get established in positions for the long haul? It seems I am often buying good setups, they go up a bit, then pullback due to various conditions (like the market tanking for a day or so and it looks like the world will end) so I sell for breakeven or a minor profit to protect capital in case it drops further, then it turns around and takes off without me. This causes me to overtrade and get nowhere sometimes and would really prefer to hold longer term but am trading with limited capital and feel I must protect it at all costs.
Bob

Anonymous said...

Bob,

Are you recording your trades in a diary? If you aren't, start doing it. This will help you spot weaknesses and errors in your thought process in trading. You've spotted one, exiting a position b/c it falls in price. My suggestion would be to take a look at the times where you sold when you got nervous...where those days where the stock was down in heavy volume, light volume? Did the overall market breakdown? Did anything about the fundamentals change?

For your example, if the stock fell on light volume and the fundamental picture did not change, then you should hold onto your stock...unless of course it breaks your 8% stop loss.

Don't worry, at least you'll be learning from your mistakes. That is what trading is all about, learning from your mistakes.

Happy Trading!

MktSpec

Ryan Mathews said...

Quick comment... I like DVW a lot. I added it to my pick list on the 9th and am looking for a good week. Sorry, I don't play long-term much, but in the short-term it looks strong.
Also like LPSN for this week. I added both to my pick list.

Good luck all.
pick24.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Josh. What do think is a good entry to GIGM? I bought earlier and was stopped out. Is it smart to wait for it to show more strength, or was Friday the day to get some.

Also thoughts on BOT and FALC, both cup with handles??

Thanks in advance.

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

Yes DVW is nice!

Ok before I go on and answer anymore questions I want a qestions answered. Deal? Ok, how and where can I find out what stocks newly list on the NYSE and Nasdaq AND where and how can I find stocks that are newly trading as a spinoff from another company?

If I can get these answers I will be back with more comments. :)

If I dont get them I will be back anyways :)

Anonymous said...

http://biz.yahoo.com/ipo/

http://www.nasdaq.com/reference/ipos.stm

I wish I could help you Josh for the help you give all of us, but I don't know where to look for new listings. I've searched around but found nothing. IPOs are easy to find and I'm guessing you have the above addresses anyway. I'll keep trying to look but don't know if I'll have any luck.

Anonymous said...

Josh I don't know either but I bet Rev Shark knows.........LYV is actually a spin off form CCU, so that is some thing that would be in the news..........Like MHS was years ago , which I still own after the spin off from MRK. Now Josh I was wondering if you are long MDII? If so I Have something here that is concerning me about the stock.......

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

DVW is still not forming a sound base. It is still ascending up and needs to go into a low volume base and then breakout from that before I would go long this stock. But a pullback to the 50 dma and high volume bounce would warrant a position also.

Don't trade scared. If you study your history of greatest stock market winners you should be beholden to hold stocks for the long haul if they have CANSLIM traits. If they don't have CANSLIM traits chances are it isnt even worth holding. But the big winners show it takes time to make big gains. Stocks like DVW will not make you rich. It will provide us with some nice gains but that is about it.
........................................

Great post, market spec, again! He is so right. Just keep at it. In time you will learn to hold stocks through normal pullbacks.
.........................................

pick24, you have a very nice website.
...........................................

GIGM would be a buy right here, if you are not already long.

BOT and FALC might be making a cup with handle. We dont know yet. They could both fail making the pattern and crash right through their 50 dma. We just don't know yet. But so far it is ok.
.............................................

Thanks, yellow.

Yes, I am long MDII. And just to let you know nothing troubles me unless it is in the charts.

News is crap and is already known by the chart. Earnings and PURE FRAUD are the only two things that charts can't pick up.

IGNORE THE NEWS. CANSLIM is all you need to know about your stocks. CANSLIM covers all areas about a stock that matters. The rest is pure noise to scare you from buying crap stocks.

MDII is crap but this piece of crap has already given me a 15% gain. I have no problem leaving AFTER its chart tells me to. This isn't a great company.
.........................................

Great questions everyone!

I just watched the first episode of the new Sopranos season. Wow!

24 and Sopranos are two amazing shows. I can't remember the last time two shows gripped me like these still do.

I am on the hunt to find my info on newly listed Nasdaq stocks from the OTCBB and where I can find a list of spinoffs.

Anonymous said...

Duly noted on MDII. But I thought I'd post what someone else posted. And it checks out......from what I can tell.....maybe be on extra guard if it starts to falter.....let me know what ya think? if ya have time?


I'd be alert for possibility of future NASDAQ listing problems: market cap is approx $22,000,000 and stockholder equity is less than $10,000,000 - maybe no problem, but this is one where we could get blindsided - see also 3/14/2006 NASI press release regarding this topic. I got out of NASI with a modest profit on a quick trade because OBV was dropping like a rock - apparently someone knew 8-K was coming.

Joshua "MauiTrader" Hayes said...

Thank you. Normally the chart will not have this pattern before that happens. Normally there is not a sound base, price above 50 dma, 50 dma over 200 dma, and heavy accumulation before something like this happens. Stock is up 15% in two days. This is a crap stock. It should be a tiny tiny portion of a portfolio. Newbies should not even be trading this stock.

Y.Y. said...

what you think of parl?
i already sold half my long when it broke 50dma
now it broke 200dma

Y.Y. said...

if i remeber correctly newly traded stocks have an N letter near their ticker in the wall street journal or barrons